Tuesday, September 17, 2013

On My Own at 107 by Sarah L. Delany with Amy Hill Hearth



We have a large "free box" at our local library and on many a visit, I've found a good book to take home from there. Sometimes better than what I found while browsing the library shelves. ;<)
 
Yesterday, the library free box contained a real gem!
 
On My Own at 107 is a small but extraordinary book. I read the complete book in one session last night and loved every page.
 
On My Own at 107 is the story of Sarah (Sweet Sadie) Delany, the surviving sister of the well-known Delany sisters who was left "on her own" at the amazing age of 107, after her beloved sister Annie Elizabeth (Bessie) died (at home) in the autumn of 1995 at the age of 104.
 
In this beautifully-written diary/memoir, Sadie must come to terms with the profound loss of her beloved sister's passing; sharing the heart-wrenching absence she feels on a daily basis in the house they shared together in Mount Vernon, NY since 1957, where Sadie continued to reside.
 
Both of these amazing women led long, healthy and inspiring lives.
 
 Bessie (Annie Elizabeth) graduated from Columbia University's School of Dental and Oral Surgery in 1923 and was the second black woman licensed to practise dentistry in New York. For many years, she had a thriving dental practise in Harlem and was known as Dr. Bessie to her patients and throughout the black community.
 
Sadie (Sarah) attended the Pratt Institute and later Columbia University and earned a bachelor and masters degree. Sadie was the first black woman to teach domestic science at a high school level, in New York city.
 
They faced many challenges along the way as single,  black career women in a time when discrimination and segregation were still the norm, rather than the exception. Neither of the sisters ever married, although they both enjoyed the company and friendship of many suitors throughout the years. But most of all, it was their bonds of sisterhood and family that saw them through the storms and also the good times in life.
 
On My Own at 107 is a touching, unique, at times humorous and unforgettable story to read.
And the only book I have ever noted at Amazon with all 5 star reviews!
 
For me, it was also a book filled with wisdom and inspiration as Sadie reminisced about the 104  years she shared with her sister Bessie. The good times, the lean years, the triumphs...all lovingly recalled and shared.
 
This is a beautiful book, in every way.
 
Not only does it share an amazing story, it also has a lovely presentation, with floral illustrations by Brian M. Kotsy featured throughout the pages. The beautiful flowers depicted in these illustrations were to showcase those grown by Bessie year after year, in her lovingly-tended garden that she cared for on her own, until her 98th year!
 
I did some checking and found this Wiki page for Sadie (Sarah) Delany. She lived two more years after Bessie's passing, to the age of 109! A life, very well lived. That of course goes for Bessie too. And it's nice to picture them together again now!
 
 
I'm so glad I stopped to take a look in the free box yesterday.

 But unlike most of the books I find there, this won't be one that I'll be passing along, any time soon. I'm looking forward to a re-read already!
 
Overall rating for this book: Excellent. 5 out of 5.

16 comments:

  1. Excellent review. This sounds like such a positive and inspiring story. I'm looking forward to reading it too. Two amazing women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing women indeed. One of the best books I've read in a long time. Inspiring no matter what age we are at!

      Delete
  2. wow you must have been wearing one of your lucky pouches, that's amazing... I also always look in the free books and those for sale for 1 dollar or 2, you find so pretty amazing stories, and you've hit the jackpot!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear my lucky pouches all the time now L, whenever I'm out and about. And so far, there's been some extra GOOD LUCK every single time I have. Kismet, coincidence...whatever, if it works, that what counts, right?

      I think you'd really enjoy this book L, it is so inspiring!

      Delete
  3. I read the book that Sadie and Bessie wrote together in their 90s . . . I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read their other books too. I'm guessing they will be just as good or even better! :<) Thanks for stopping by. I love your blog name btw. :<)

      Delete
    2. I am SO sorry to read of Katherine's passing,when I stopped by her blog today. She was a talented, fun lady. Safe journey Katherine, RIP, you will be missed.

      Delete
  4. That does sound like an inspiring book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. I hope you get a chance to read it too! So worth the time.

      Delete
  5. I must read about this remarkable woman. I just cannot imagine living to that great age.

    Thank you so much for your good wishes re hubby. I'm back, albeit on an irregular basis. Maybe I'll blog once a week for a while just to keep my hand in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful book and they have more books as well, written by both Sadie and Bessie, those I want to read too!

      Sadie reminded me of my grandma in so many ways. She had her own house well into her 90's and kept it as neat as a pin. Loved to entertain, feed people most of all. She sewed, walked long distances even during cold Prairie winters and was rarely sick. Kept well with a good diet, exercise and rarely needed any medical intervention.

      We had a lot in common in terms of values and interests and I have never forgotten her amazing energy and spirit. It was all brought to mind again, reading this lovely book. IMO, how we should all be able to grow older, really LIVING right to the end.

      Loved every page of this book! :<)

      Delete
  6. It's always a treat when you come across a great book, and this one sounds like a real treat. I'm going to look for it at our library, who knows, it might be in circulation up here.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes the best books are the ones I get for free or in charity boxes. For some reason they are often more unusual. The ones I find really boring are the ones by celebrities, which probably aren't even written by them anyway!

    I will look out for this one in or out of a charity box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, good review and I definitely am going to look for that book either at Amazon or see if our library can get it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Sandy. Their other books, written together, are really good too.😂

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...