Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sea Glass Hearts by Josie Iselin

 
 

 
 
Now that summer is gone for another year, I find myself thinking about some of the many symbols and scenes that are equated with that season.
 
No, I don't miss the scorching heat that we endured here in BC week after week, in August. But it's nice to dwell on what makes summer unique and memorable: days at the beach, warm summer nights, walking in the sand collecting shells (if you're lucky!) or pretty stones, sea glass....lots of wonderful and beautiful images come to mind.

I'm also taking the time to enjoy a book I received as a gift a while back:
Sea Glass Hearts by Josie Iselin on an almost daily basis.
 
If you aren't familiar with this author/artist's work, she uses a process called Scannography (click to read more) and takes seemingly ordinary objects like stones and shells and transforms them into images, books, prints and collections that are uniquely beautiful. 
 
Sea Glass Hearts is a collection of sea glass and stone images with some lovely poems and poetic phrases to accompany many of the photos.

If you happen to be land-locked ;<) and have never seen any sea glass (click to read more at Wiki) it is pieces of broken glass that have been washed up along shorelines and polished and smoothed into shapes by the waves and sand.
 
In this particular book by Josie Iselin, the theme is all about heart-shapes. The special meanings of this symbol for so many people: the core of our being, the lifeforce and strength, the qualities we value and strive for...lovely and thought-provoking imagery to consider and savour, paging through this book.
 
Stop by the Amazon page for Sea Glass Hearts and click inside the book to enjoy a sample of the Josie Iselin's work. Each one a visual delight and work of art.
 
 For me, it has a calming, grounding effect to browse through the pages of this book, especially when I take the time to read the text that accompanies the breath-taking photos throughout.

Ms. Iselin has created magic with her photos and her words.
 
Speaking of Amazon, I noted that this book is on sale right now for only $10 and change... so a great time to pick up a copy for yourself and/or several as gifts. Christmas is just around the corner and this would certainly be a welcome gift to enjoy, in the depths of winter.
 
This book would make a special and memorable gift for someone you love or even as a special thank you or housewarming gift, to enjoy as a small "coffee table" book, in a new home.

I like to keep my copy close at hand so that I can pick it up when I'm feeling stressed and spend a few minutes in quiet contemplation, slowly savouring the pages.
 
Make sure to check out Josie's other books too.You can visit her beautiful blog here and/or join her over at her FaceBook and Twitter pages (links at the bottom of her blog's home page).
 
 You're in for a visual treat! :<)
 
Overall rating for this book: Excellent. 5 out of 5.
 
 

9 comments:

  1. This looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo this sounds like an interesting book....will check it out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss the sea glass that we used to find, especially after a storm.

    Sounds like a great book, I will check it out.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geraldine,
    This does sound like a very lovely book. I plan to take a look.
    Thanks.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent review. The way the images in these photos are created is so unique and interesting. It is a beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandy, It is very interesting. I think you'd enjoy this artist's work.

    Hi Brian, Let me know what you think Brian.

    Hi Jen, I bet you do miss the ocean and all that goes with it. I long to live by the ocean...Right now though, I'd settle for a bit of rain to wash the dust away. ;<)

    Hi Brenda, Lovely and really powerful in the way the images can touch one's heart. At least that's been my experience. I'm looking forward to enjoying more of her books.

    Hi Joe, I was pleased to find out about this artist's work and to get the opportunity to review this book. It was my pleasure.

    Happy Weekend, G :<)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent so gorgeous and summery and yet....well you'll have to see my blog to understand LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS: Just noted that the Sea Glass Hearts book is now available as a gorgeous calender:

    http://www.abramsbooks.com/Books/Sea_Glass_Hearts_2013_Wall_Calendar-9781419703348.html

    another great gift idea!

    Happy Weekend, G

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Geraldine! if anyone has any questions or want to follow along with my next project....(a secret and fabulous subject!) do stop by the facebook page: Beach: A Book of Treasure or facebook.com/josieiselin. I also send out a very sporadic newsletter but it lists events and things going on in my studio. If you want to join in drop me an email: josieiselin@lovingblind.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...